New Denver Rental Requirements for Landlords
Here are highlights from new regulations the Denver City Council has instituted. Individual landlords will be required to obtain license by January 2024. Licensing is voluntary in 2023.
- Landlords must register their property with the County by January 2024.
- Application fee is $25 per unit, increased to $50 after January 2024.
- Inspection is required; Denver maintains a list of registered inspectors acceptable for program on their website.
- License is good for 4 years from date of issue.
- License must be displayed on the property.
The program is explained in full at:
Nothing needs to be done in 2022. During calendar year 2023 we advise saving some money on the application fee and starting your process early. Because many property owners will wait until the last month to complete the process, we advise starting your application in the 3rd quarter/early 4th quarter to ensure completion before the end of the year.
CENTURY 21 Trenka Real Estate currently complies with the requirement to provide each tenant with the required “Tenant Rights and Resources” brochure (along with other required disclosures); it is documented as provided within new lease.
For your protection, starting in January 2023, your CENTURY 21 broker will begin tracking the registration process for licensing and requiring a copy of the license in file for all leased properties by the deadline. We plan to send reminders as the year progresses to help with the process and keep our participating landlords from accruing fines or worse.